Silverpush a data driven marketing and Measurement Company has released its latest report on the impact of TV ads aired during high reach TV events on a brands digital journey. The report captures the data collected across 4 major TV shows in the year 2017 and the resultant impact of these so called BIG TICKET events on brands that advertise.
As per the report every single event last year whether sports or reality TV have managed to only attract more advertisers & thereby inflate the ad rates by a 15% to 20% per 10 sec spot . IPL season 10 was the biggest revenue generator of the 4 events closely followed by BIGG BOSS season 11. Further the report also noticed that mobile brands are the nosiest and are present across all events and in equal capacities i.e. as title sponsors or co-sponsors.
SilverPush leveraged the power of PRISM, its real time analytics software to record the transference effect between TV & DIGITAL, spawned by such large scale, high viewership shows on a brands digital journey. The data has been recorded from April 2017 to Jan 7t h 2018 across 4 major events i.e. IPL 10, PKL5, KBC -9 & BIGG Boss 11. The report highlights how Brands with strong appeal to digital natives (multi screeners) witness a disproportionate shift in their digital engagements with TV ads across these events in comparison to other categories.
The latest report in an attempt to help Advertisers gage the impact on digital audiences of the TV media spends incurred. Research has show that over 87% of internet audiences make use of other devices while watching TV. Simply put, the most immediate impact of your TV ads today will be some form of digital currency – Search, visits or conversion etc. This then makes it imperative for brands to measure TV beyond GRP’s and TRP’S and take into account the digital traction brought about by TV ads to know the extent of impact your commercials have had on digital natives. Attribution models in 2018 would then define ways in which advertisers optimize TV spends.
Here are some key extracts from the report:
- Ad spots during these shows might move the needle, but high energy moments or the start of the event can be a game changer – A spike of 40% or more in a brands search was observed in the finals week for brands across IPL / PKL.
- HD channels airings facilitate higher uplift in digital engagements in comparison to SD channels airing for the same event – an educational app present on HD channel only during KBC-9 witnessed a 72% spike in digital conversion.
- Sports events attaract higher digital engagements for certain categories. – Mobile and Automobile brands have experienced uplift in digital enragements during sports events as opposed to reality shows. The scale of the event in terms of viewership defines the digital strategy for the brands.
- Heavy spenders on TV rely on YT to prolong brand visibility – 50% of the top advertisers during PKL5 had strong YT presences as well which phased out post the event.
- A reverse effect is also observed with highly cluttered events like IPL & BIGG boss wherein brands with minimum share on TV compensate for it on digital. – Tuborg and MMT with less than 2% of the spots on IPL had strong YT presences.
- The excitement for these shows amongst audiences is also closely seen in the digital trends for these events – The search volume for PKL5 peaks in the months with heavy TV & YT promotions.
- The kind of viewership that the event attracts also largely factors in when mapping digital responses for brands – E.g. PKL5 didn’t bring about much uplift for brands on SD channels given that 75% of the viewership came in from tier 2 cities.
- The Impact of TV ads on digital KPI’s for certain categories varies within the same event/show – KBC season 9 saw maximum noise generated by Automobile brands . The hatch back section& mid range Sedans witnessed an uplift (35% or more) with SD airings. No impact was seen on the TUV category. With attribution taking centre stage this year Silverpush aim’s to release many more insightful reports and findings as the year progresses. All energies are being channelized in incorporating some more essential metrics that strengthen the outcome & deliver more focused and actionable insights for the future TV plans. Silverpush with its technology has delivered ace solutions to marketers seeking innovation in TV to digital mapping and advertising. This year as well you can witness their technology 1s t hand @ Ad -tech 2018.